JR. ARTIST (PEER MENTOR TRAINING)
Direct Supervisors: Danielle, Program Director, Victor, Art Director
Modeling, Positivity and Behavior
- At YSA, always model the covenant
- report one time deal breakers to Art Director or Program Director
- practice positive attitude instead of complaining in difficult situations
- take responsibility for actions instead of blaming others
- listen and accept feedback from others instead of rationalizing
- think critically about self, others, and contexts, problem solving
- Monday-Friday, 6:15-6:30pm clean studio
- Put art materials into assigned places on the shelf
- Clean all paint brushes
- Wash each table
- Sweep the floors.
- Monday, 4:00-4:15pm, complete goal sheets with youth
- Have youth write one specific, measurable, achievable, and realistic (SMART) goals for the week
- Wednesday, 4:00-4:15pm, check in with youth to see their progress
- Record youth goals and their progress in Google Docs by Wednesday 6:30pm
- Friday, 6:00-6:30pm lead Youth Empowerment Meetings
- Train Apprentice Leader of Peer Mentoring in the admissions process
- Help Events Intern set up logistics of after-hour programs
- attend at least two events, such as yoga
- Help Program Director to administer some program evaluations
- Structured-interviews about youth’s experiences in special projects
- Give pre/post-tests and explain their value to youth
- Learn about data-informed-decision-making
- Help reduce drama in the studio through peer mediation
- 3 days of week, Monday-Friday, lead groups check-ins at 4:30pm and check-outs at 6:20pm
- if a new youth comes to YSA, lead an ice breakers with the group
- develop relationships with youth, encourage friendships, community
- Three days, 3:30-6:30pm, 10hrs total, attend YSA
- work 10hrs per week total, with the option to volunteer more time
- option to work on homework two out of the ten hrs at YSA
- receive 30 minutes of flex time to arrive by 4pm from school
- if unable to work, then report absences at least 24hrs in advance to the Program Director
- If no communication about the first absence, receive a warning. On the third warning, meet with the Program Director.
- Monday, 6:30-7:30pm attend staff meeting
- Volunteer at two weekend events, such as mural making or poetry slams
- Monday, 6:30-6:45pm ‘debrief’ about studio performance with the YSA
- The Staff Team and Jr. Artist will independently complete an evaluation about the Jr. Artist’s performance.
- The goal is for the staff and Jr. Artist to give the same or close to the same ratings, so youth and staff are on the same page, and the focus is on helping the Jr. Artist to develop accurate self-awareness.
- If the ratings are different, the YSA staff will provide feedback about why.
- The Jr. Artist is expected to listen to this feedback and accept it.
- The Jr. Artist can ask to set up a separate meeting to receive more feedback and instruction about how to improve.